This avocado recipe hack shaves 1,105 Calories off the traditional recipe on the back of chocolate chip bags. That’s 31 calories less per cookie. 31 calories may not seem like much, but who eats just one cookie?!
My family thought I was nuts, but they unanimously agree that this recipe even tastes better and has a creamier texture. Avocado also has more vitamins.
Example: 1 cup/230g butter = 1627 calories, 585% of Daily Value of saturated fat. Traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for 1 cup butter. 1 cup/230g avocado = 368 calories, 32% of Daily Value of saturated fat.
- 2 1/2 cups/300g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp/5g baking soda
- 1 tsp/5g salt
- 1/2 cup/13g = 115 Cal pureed/mashed avocado *Measure exactly. Leftover avocado makes a healthy sandwich spread or other.
- 2oz/57g = 407 Cal butter at room temperature or substitute an equal amount of another oil for dairy-free. Add another 2oz butter/oil if cooking in a traditional oven.
- 1 cup/227g light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup/113g white sugar
- 1 tsp/5ml vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks from 2 large eggs *Save whites for another purpose or discard.
- 1 pkg. 12 ounce/340g semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat Sunflair® Solar oven to 215F/101C. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium-size bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate larger bowl, mashed avocado with butter until smooth. Add vanilla
- Add brown and white sugar and mix on medium speed until combined and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing well before adding the second yolk. On low speed, slowly add flour mixture. Beat until all flour is incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon dough into round balls and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.
- Cool on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes and transfer to a towel or cooling racks.
- Store in an airtight container.
Serving Suggestion: cold or hot milk, coffee, or other