- Lemon Juice
- Cut apples into 1/8 inch slices (3 mm). Slices should be as uniform as possible for even drying. Can either leave skin on or peel.
- Soak apples in lemon juice for a few minutes. This helps prevent them from turning brown when drying.
- Lay apple slices directly on the cooking rack(s). Leave space between them so air can circulate.
- Put fruit in SUNFLAIR Solar Oven, leaving oven unzipped and well vented. Air circulation is important. Don’t worry about bugs getting in during the drying process. The heat will keep them away.
- Dry until pliable but leathery (about 6 -8 hours for apples). To test dryness, let a piece cool, then squeeze it. If squeezing produces moisture, fruit is not dry.
- Allow fruit to cool before storing.
- Tips: The optimal drying temperature is between 130 – 140 F (55 – 60 C). The temperature should stay below 170 F (77 C), otherwise the fruit will cook instead of dry. This may require the oven to be angled more away from the sun.
- During the first hour, watch for condensation buildup on the oven cover. If this happens, wipe with clean cloth.
- Food dries best in low humidity (under 60%).
- Experiment with other fruits: apricots, bananas, berries, tomatoes, etc. Remember that juicier fruits will have longer drying times.
Copyright: Sunflair® Solar Ovens