Cook time: 2 hours
Many cultures start the first day of the year with lucky food. In the American south, it’s soul food. Cooking it with the sun, it’s “sol” food.
• Black eyed peas: There seems to be many views on their significance from gratitude to have the peas, to they plump with wealth, or they represent coins. Some say a person should eat 365 peas, one for each day of the year, but leave one on the plate to share with others.
.• Collards represent money.
• Pork symbolizes wealth, because a wealthy person had pork. They all agree that they should all be eaten together!
🌽 Serve with cornbread. Cornbread represents gold.
- 1 pound (454g) black-eyed peas, soak in hot water for 1 hour, or soak overnight
- 1 pound (454g) smoked ham hock, meaty ham bone or slab bacon
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt (omit salt if ham has already been cured and is salty)
- 1 large onion, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.5g) cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.5g) black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.5g) allspice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.5g) crushed red pepper
- 1 pound (454g) collard greens, cut in 1-inch ribbons (about 8 cups)
- 1 bunch scallions, cleaned and chopped, for garnish.
- Soak black eyed peas, then drain.
- Place peas, ham, onion, and spices in roaster and cook covered in the Sunflair® for 1.5 hours.
- Add collards and cook covered for the last 20-30 minutes.