Cookies, Homemade or Refrigerated Nothing like fresh hot cookies out of the oven. Just like grilling, there are little tips that follow natures laws of physics that will aid in cookie making. Solar ovens not only retain heat, but moisture too. Note and tips: 1. If...read more
Vegetable Chickpea Curry Servings: 6 - 10 Very easy vegan Chickpea Curry is a good one to make that serves many people. Nice for a backyard gathering, or comfort food on a cold day. Also a good one to package for lunches for work. It is delicious eaten by it’s self or...read more
Classic Egg Salad Sandwich This is a wonderful classic recipe that will be gobbled up. It's delicious on country white bread or a hearty rye. Eggs cook faster in a solar oven when hard baked, not using water. What is nice about hard baked eggs is they never crack....read more
Turmeric, Ginger, Cinnamon, & Cardamom Oatmeal Delicious, surprisingly creamy, and infused with loads of health benefits. My family was hesitatant that this combination would taste “healthy," but it just tastes yummy and comforting on a cold day. Ginger has been...read more
Chili Spaghetti Squash is great at home or camping. Easy clean up as the skin doubles as a bowl. We used the Sunflair Mini for this cook. You could triple the quantity in the Sunflair Deluxe Solar Oven. Servings: 2-4
- 1 spaghetti squash, approximately 2 - 2½ lbs.
- 15 ounces can chili
- Garnish options: Tomatoes, Scallions, Cilantro, Olives, Jalapeños, Cheddar Cheese, Sour Cream
- Place washed (not punctured) squash in the Sunflair Solar Oven for 3½ hrs, turn halfway during cooking. At 3½ hours: put canned chili in the included collapsible bowl/lid and place this in the oven next to the squash for 45 min.
- At 4 hrs remove the squash and let cool for 15 min., as it will be very hot straight out of the oven.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds, add chili, and garnish with toppings.
- We used Cilantro, Green Onions, and tomatoes.
- Olives, jalapeños, cheese, sour cream would complement the dish too.
Keep Calm and Curry On! The spices shine when cooked with the sun ☀️ This dish was made in the Sunflair Deluxe Solar Oven. #solarcooking. Servings: 4 Cook time: 4 hours ...read more
This is a delightful summer salad that is one of those go-to recipes to keep on hand. The original Dijon mustard used the juice of unripe grapes in place of vinegar to give it its unique flavor....read more
Servings: 4 Cook time: 40 - 90 min, depending on instant or steel cut This oatmeal is a hit during the holidays. It's just a matter of adding a few extra spices and suddenly it's that comforting taste of the...read more
Servings: 4 Cook time: 40 min. A go-to side dish that pairs well with a multitude of entrees, and a favorite to take to...read more
Servings: 6 Cook time: 4 hours Nothing says fall and winter like apple cider. It is nice served cold, but even better served hot to take the chill off on those crisp cold days. And better snuggled up by a fireplace with a throw blanket....read more
The orange and red wine combined with the cranberries in this cranberry sauce recipe is a flavor sensation. Delicious with turkey and other poultry. This is nice to make in advance and keeps in the refrigerator for a week or freeze.read more
Collapsible Pot Servings: 2-3 Cook time: 45 min. Large Roaster (double the recipe) Servings: 4-6 Cook time: 1.5 hours French toast is one of those anytime comfort foods. The recipe can be followed, or just toss ingredients of your choosing in the pot. Make at home, on...read more
Servings: 4 Cook time: 2 hours This a go-to carrot side dish that seems to complement any entry. Easy for everyday, and delightful for gatherings.
- 1 pound (450 g) carrots, washed, cut 3 inches (7.5 cm) long, and then cut into sixths lengthwise
- extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon (2.4 g) dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon (4.8 g) dried parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon (0.6 g) dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place prepared carrots in the roaster, drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with all the seasonings. Toss so the carrots are evenly coated with oil.
- Cover with lid, and place in the Sunflair® for 2-3 hours until tender.
- Serve with your favorite entre.
Servings: 4 Time: 2 hours This comfort-food is easy, tasty and healthy. Great for lunch at work, car camping, and showy enough for guests. It can be enjoyed simply with the two main ingredients of just the sweet potato and egg, or garnish with purpose or with leftover...read more
Quinoa flour is gluten free, low carbohydrate, nutritious, with a slightly nutty flavor, and is a substitute for recipes calling for wheat flour. It’s a bit pricey, so I make my own.
Most available quinoa and other grains in stores theses days has had the saponins removed, so all that is left is roasting and milling. Look for a package that states pre-washing is not required. Another convenience about quinoa is gums such as xanthan gum or guar gum don’t need to be added for baked goodies.
Some 3000 to 4000 years ago, quinoa was domesticated high in the Andean mountains. The Incas believed it to be sacred. However, the Spanish conquistadors made the indigenous people grow less nutritious wheat. But the secret is out and gaining in popularity. It is now being grown in the United States, Europe, etc. Saponins are chemicals that coat the outside of seeds and grains to deter instincts and birds. They appear as foam when washing. In the old days, the foam was used as a soap.
- 1 package of pre-washed quinoa
- Spread a layer of quinoa on the baking tray. Cover with a second black baking tray. Pace in the Sunflair® oven for approximately 25-30 minutes until slightly golden. It will have a fragrance similar to that of a chocolate peanut butter cup.
- Let the roasted quinoa cool completely.
- Once cool, mill until it is a fine power.
- Store in an airtight container. Quinoa will last for 12 months in a freezer, 6 months in a refrigerator, and a few months on a cool shelf.
Additional tools: Coffee/spice grinder to mill the roasted quinoa into flour. I’ve tried a food processor and a blender and they don’t do the job. It stays coarse and with whole seeds.
Making a lovely dinner for two is easy, and the stuffing is exquisite with apples and brandy soaked golden raisins.
- ¼ cup (38 g) golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) brandy
- 2 Rock Cornish hens, thawed if frozen
- 1 small lemon
- ⅛ teaspoon (0.6 g) onion powder
- ½ cup (115 g) diced tart apple, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) fresh, minced Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) fresh minced thyme or ⅓ teaspoon (1.6 g) dried, crushed thyme
- salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) butter, melted
- 1 cup (225 g) cornbread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) apricot jam
- Soak raisins in brandy in a separate cup for 1 hour.
- Preheat Sunflair® Solar Oven. Set up oven outside with cooking chamber facing the sun.
- Rinse hens inside and out with water. Pat dry.
- In a bowl, grate ½ teaspoon rind from lemon and set aside. Cut lemon into a couple of wedges and rub the insides and outsides of hens with cut side of the wedges. After, discard lemon halves.
- In the reserved lemon rind bowl, combine onion powder, apple, parsley, cornbread crumbs, thyme, soaked raisins, and any brandy left in the cup. Stir. Add onions and butter remaining in the skillet. Stir well. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Divide stuffing between the two cornish hens. Spread apricot jam on the top outside of the hens. Place the hens in the roaster, cover with lid, place inside the Solar Oven.
- Cook for 2½ hours.
Go ahead and play with your food. Great for kids, parties or anytime! This pizza recipe uses ingredients that most likely can be found at a local market. SUNFLAIR® Solar Ovens.read more
The holy trinity in this Creole jambalaya recipe is onion, celery, and peppers. And the meat is chicken and andouille sausage.read more
My family thought I was nuts, but they unanimously agree that this recipe for avocado chocolate chip cookies, tastes even better and has a creamier texture than the usual recipe.read more
Nothing beats fresh biscuits out of the oven with some butter. And better yet when made with the sun. For refrigerated biscuits, place directly into the roaster and cover. Cook until golden brown.read more